Part-time and / or full-time opportunities available
Wild Birds Unlimited is looking for an Assistant Manager to work directly with the store owners as we bring a new shopping experience to Belleville. Wild Birds Unlimited Belleville is a locally owned nature shop dedicated to the joy of bird feeding. We sell wild bird food, bird feeding and watching accessories, as well as nature gifts. Our team will become experts in the hobby of bird feeding and will help us fulfill our mission of bringing people and nature together!
- Delivering a high energy sales experience: Wild Birds Unlimited is known for its unparalleled in-store experience. As an Assistant Store Manager, you’ll be responsible for helping lead the sales associates to deliver excellent sales advice and topnotch service. The Wild Birds Unlimited high energy sales experience requires actively greeting customers, meeting their needs, and carrying their purchases to their car. Establishing friendly, positive energy on the sales floor is needed every day, for every visitor and it’s how you’ll help support a team which will deliver strong sales results.
- Becoming a Certified Bird Feeding Specialist: Our customers come to us for the quality of our products, the excellent service, and the expert advice. We provide a comprehensive training program which will give you the skills to be an expert in the hobby of bird feeding and teach you how to confidently sell within our system. Completing the program and providing expert advice to help our customers better enjoy the hobby is critical.
- Creating a beautiful welcoming space: Our store offers a warm, welcoming environment. Each team member plays a role in ensuring that the store is clean and that the products are beautifully displayed and well stocked. You will help lead the attractive merchandising of the store and providing a clean, welcoming space.
- Being an enthusiastic role model: We work best as a team of dependable, friendly people. Attendance at team meetings, punctuality, and careful attention to detail related to cash management, store and personnel security, and general administrative tasks is very important. By working together with the owners as models, you’ll help establish a positive, fun, and respectful work environment.
- Acting as an ambassador in the community: Being actively involved in the community will contribute to our success and impact. Organizing or participating in in-store, community, social media, or online events is an important way for you to help us create and grow our presence.
- Being actively involved in personnel management: Ensuring the sales associates feel welcome, confident, and excited to help customers get as much joy as possible from backyard bird feeding is one of the most important jobs of the management team. You’ll actively help the owners recruit, train, and manage the sales associates including being involved in responsibilities such as scheduling, and delivering an excellent in-store experience.
- Supporting other store-leadership duties: Involvement in pricing, ordering, cash management, opening and closing the store, inventory management, and other duties will occur as you grow and develop in the role.
Attitude, enthusiasm, and a commitment to helping build a successful business which positively contributes to the local environment are your most important characteristics! Experience working in retail is necessary. Having a strong background in birds and the environment, is an important asset, but not necessary. Please put your best foot forward and let us know how you can help us bring people and nature together and do it with excellence! As the successful candidate, you will be an individual with the potential to grow in the role. Opportunities to increase responsibilities and move into more senior management opportunities are possible.
Here are some important details about joining our team:
Hours of operation: Monday – Saturday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm and Sunday 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Remuneration: $21.00 – $23.00 depending upon experience, education, and profile.
Additional benefits: As you grow with the team, we will offer extras such as health benefits, performance bonuses, and more.
Intensive on-the-job training: We offer extensive on-the-job training through the Certified Bird Feeding Specialist program which will guide you to become an expert in backyard bird feeding, increase your knowledge of birds and naturalizing your yard, and develop selling and customer service skills.
Manager development: We provide a manager development program for senior staff as they grow with the company, which can include additional training, international travel, and opportunities for promotion.
We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to creating a positive welcoming space for all. We encourage everyone to apply as we strive to create a team reflective of the diversity in our community!