1883 Koshlong Lake Road
Haliburton, ON K0M 1S0
Salary Range: $15.00/hour
Position Status: Full-Time Seasonal Contract
Placement: June 14, 2021 – September 6, 2021
Nature & Scope
Reporting to the Food Service Director or Lead Cook, the Prep Cook will work on-site at YMCA Wanakita in Haliburton Ontario.
The incumbent is responsible for providing the food services assigned to them with guidance from the Cooks, Lead Cooks and Food Service Director. The Prep Cook must be prepared to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure work environment while maintaining the organizational ability to identify and act on job duties quickly and effectively. The Prep Cook must be prepared to work as a team member in a dynamic workplace and follow all safety procedures.
The successful candidate ensures that the camp dining halls provide a variety of healthy food selections in accordance with nutritional and/or special dietary requirements. They operate within specified nutritional guidelines and maintain quality service in a clean, safe environment.
- Adheres to established YMCA, Health Department and Ministry policies and procedures around menu planning, food preparation and storage.
- Assists with preparation of all food items as directed in a sanitary and timely manner.
- Assists with ensuring all special dietary needs are met
- Assists with adequate storage of all food and supplies, maintaining a running inventory of products
- Cleans and maintains station in practicing food safety, sanitation, organizational skills.
- Assists with other assigned tasks such as dishwashing, cleaning of kitchen facilities and receiving deliveries
- Provides friendly, prompt customer service
- Provides basic instruction to General Kitchen Helpers if required, under the supervision of a Cook, Lead Cook or Food Service Director
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Receive and store food supplies, equipment, and utensils in refrigerators, cupboards, and other storage areas.
- Stock cupboards and refrigerators.
- Remove trash and clean kitchen garbage containers.
- Completion of a two-year cooking program is preferred
- Safe Food Handling certification
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C
- Working knowledge of Canada’s Food Guide
- Minimum one-year of experience working in food services in a camp setting
- Satisfactory and current Police Records Check is a condition of employment
- Energetic and enthusiastic personality; responsive to needs of participants
If you are interested in this position, please submit your letter of application and resume by
June 5, 2021 attention:
YMCA Wanakita Hiring Manager
We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.