ROADS DEPARTMENT – OPERATOR
Location: 90 Wollaston Lake Road, Coe Hill ON K0L 1P0
Job Term: Permanent, Full Time (Minimum 40 hours per week)
Salary: $24.41 hourly during probation, $25.45 hourly thereafter
Union: International Union of Operating Engineers
Application Deadline for Submission: June 22nd, 2021 at 3pm
All applications must be submitted by mail, email or fax to the below addresses (attention to Bernice Crocker):
Mail: 90 Wollaston Lake Road, PO Box 99
Coe Hill ON, K0L 1P0
Fax: (613) 337-5789
The Equipment Operator is responsible for the safety and maintenance of both Township roads and Infrastructure. The successful candidate must be able to safely operate standard road maintenance equipment. This will include hauling by tandem truck or trailer, operating snow plows, sweepers, graders, backhoes, and spreaders.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As we are a small, rural, Municipality the work you will be completing will be varied. Below are the general expectations of the position.
• Plow and sand Township roads as required under the Minimum Maintenance Standards
• Report liabilities on roads to the Roads Superintendent (ex. road washouts, damaged signs etc.)
• Inspect and restore culvert grades and roads, as needed
• Remove road hazards (obstructions, deceased animals)
• Be comfortable operating a chainsaw, backhoe, chipper and/or mower to maintain sightlines within the Township
• Communicate vehicle and equipment information with Staff
• Circle check and confirm proper working order of all equipment
• Perform light maintenance and general cleaning of all equipment and machinery
• Prepare equipment for winter road maintenance
• Other duties as assigned
How do I qualify?
1. Licensing: You must possess a Valid DZ License
2. Education: You must possess a Grade 12 Diploma, or higher & Associate Road Supervisor (ARS) and/or Certified Road Supervisor (CRS) designation(s)
3. Work Status – Ability to Work in Canada: You must be legally entitled to work in Canada. You are also required to have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) upon being hired.
• You have the ability to lift up to 50lbs as well as push, pull and hold equipment.
• Manual dexterity & ability to reach or squat while working
• Completion of a road maintenance course or related training
• You have knowledge of relevant Municipal By-Laws
• You have a year, or more, of directly relevant experience in Public Works
• Completion of a Chainsaw Safety Course
• CPR & First Aid an asset
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You follow instructions and seek clarification, as required.
• You pay close attention to details and have strong time management skills
• You plan, organize, and prioritize your work to meet deadlines.
• General knowledge of electronics, hydraulics, and mechanics
• Strong sense of safety awareness
• You apply basic safe operating practices when working with machinery and equipment.
• Work activities take place outdoors with exposure to inclement weather, dirt, dust, noise, and vibration. Some shifts may take place on weekends or holidays.
• Throughout the winter months you will be required to complete patrol on a rotational basis over some weekends.
How to apply:
1. You must apply by email, mail or fax.
2. You must attach at least one document with your application. We recommend you attach a cover letter and resume. The cover letter and resume document you attach should not exceed two (2) pages combined.
3. You must be eligible to work in Canada.
4. If you require accommodation to apply please contact email@example.com or 613-337-5731
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.