Job Title: Electrical Engineer
Reports to: President
Department: Engineering – Commercial
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario
Otter Energy is one of Ontario’s largest and most established solar companies, with its roots in solar project construction and maintenance. Since its founding in 2009, Otter has grown into a full-service solar provider and has expanded its services to include Project Development, Operation, Maintenance and Financing. Otter is seeking a full-time Electrical Engineer that is passionate about energy and sustainability. The ideal candidate is a Professional Engineer with a strong background in solar or electrical system design. The ideal candidate must also want to be part of an entrepreneurial and growing team, who is able to be hands on, and who strives to take ownership over what they do.
This is an incredible opportunity for someone who wants to start or advance their engineering career in the business of solar. The Electrical Engineer will gain essential knowledge and exposure to all areas of the business. Otter is committed to investing time and resources in developing the Electrical Engineer’s skills and experience in order to advance to more senior positions within the company.
The Engineer will work closely with the Business Development and Operations Teams to support all technical aspects of project delivery from concept/proposal through to final completion. The Engineer will play an essential role in supporting the design, permitting, construction and commissioning of commercial and residential solar systems.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare and deliver stamped project design documents, including site plans, system layouts and single line electrical diagrams.
- Coordinate with third party engineers (structural, civil) as needed.
- Prepare and submit connection applications and associated design documents to Hydro companies.
- Track progress and make revisions to ensure applications are approved in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with local building departments to ensure building permit applications are completed and submitted within time frames necessary to meet project scheduling targets.
- Prepare project feasibility designs and analysis
- Participate in site visits, as required, for project kickoff, site meetings with hydro company representatives, and for project closeout
- Understand the requirements of solar system design and utility interconnection
- Perform project closeout, including electrical system testing
- Participate in the equipment selection and procurement process.
- Provide regular updates on project engineering status and milestones
- Forecast and track design revisions and scope changes
- Flexibility to work remotely but with minimum of 2 days/week in the Picton, ON office
- Design electrical single line diagram and installation details using AutoCAD
- Being comfortable with new and retrofit projects
- Capability and interest in taking on desktop project management
- Application of regulations to area of expertise and ensuring compliance
- Incorporation of safety and risk analysis into equipment designs
- Electrical power and distribution systems design to support other disciplines/departments/offices
- Write and review technical reports, and construction specifications;
- Cost Estimating, review and assistance
- Administration duties/ tasks as required and all other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & KEY COMPETENCIES:
- Time Management
- Organization and Prioritization Skills
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to learn new skills, such as: solar system design, site analysis
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD, ETAP, Excel, Word
- Proficiency in working with digital documents and online applications
- Knowledge of the solar industry and/or solar design software is considered an asset
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and ability to work independently, make decisions and take responsibility on technical matters
- Have excellent problem solving and decision-making skills
- Self Motivated
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- A Professional Engineer designation.
- A degree in electrical, structural or mechanical engineering is considered an asset.
- Minimum 1 – 3 years’ experience as an engineer in a similar environment; solar energy experience is an asset
- Valid Ontario driver’s license.
- Project Management experience an asset
- Be knowledgeable about the provincial building code, electrical code, CSA, ULC, ESA, IEEE and IES standards