About Grace Inn Shelter
Grace Inn Shelter is a Christian organization whose mission is to house homeless adults in a safe, dignified and hospitable environment. It provides overnight accommodations and basic services for up to 21 individuals 365 nights of the year. Grace Inn Shelter advocates for homeless individuals in Hastings and Prince Edward County. To learn more about Grace Inn Shelter, visit our website at www.graceinnshelter.com.
Frontline Worker Position
The Frontline Worker Position at Grace Inn Shelter is responsible for carrying out tasks related to the daily operations of the facility. They support the nightly intake and morning discharge of shelter guests everyday. The Frontline Worker, Relief Position ensures the safety of everyone at the facility, while fostering strong interpersonal relationships with guests, coworkers and volunteers. In cooperation with colleagues and volunteers, the Frontline Worker, Relief Position foster partnerships with external agencies, provides guest referrals, supports administrative tasks for the shelter and supervise volunteers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- The first point of contact for guests seeking shelter and food.
- Supports the dignity of guests by seeking to identify their needs in a respectful manner.
- Encourages guests to seek resources and services that support them achieving their goals.
- A supportive and proactive team-mate to fellow support staff and volunteers.
- Able to respond quickly to individuals in crisis, including but not limited to physical or mental health concerns, anger and aggression, and interpersonal crisis.
- Use initiative to assess situations and make appropriate decisions to support guests.
- Solid computer and administrative skills to maintain files and compose case reports.
- Maintain the respect and confidentiality of all work-related information.
- Complete all required tasks as indicated on the Day/Night Shift outline and complete all needed documentation.
- Cook/prepare nutritious snacks and meals, following the planned menu.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Minimum Employment Qualifications
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
- Degree/Diploma in Social Science or equivalent experience and education
- Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Crisis Intervention Training (CPI) would be considered an asset
- Suicide Prevention Training
- Emergency First Aid and CPR
- Food Handlers Certificate
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada
Hourly Wage $17.50 – $18.50
Minimum Hours 0-25 per week
Due to the nature of the work, applicants must be have the flexibility and availability to accept a variety of shifts, including weekdays, evenings, weekends, overnights and holidays. Shifts are between 5 and 12 hours in length to support the 24/7 operations of the shelter.
The working environment can be fast pace and the Frontline Worker Position requires amounts of walking, standing, sitting and lifting daily.
All applicants must be aware of the risk of exposure to COVID-19
Please note that the shelter is an essential service and remains open during the pandemic of COVID-19. Grace Inn is diligent to provide a safe and clean facility for all guests, volunteers and staff. This means it is a primary responsibility of all staff to support the daily/nightly cleaning of the shelter. Candidates considered for the position of the Frontline
Worker, Relief Position must also have the ability and physical stamina to support the janitorial duties of the shelter.
These duties include, but are not limited:
• Sweeping and mopping floors
• Cleaning and disinfecting toilets and showers
• Replenishing supplies such as toilet paper, soap and paper towel
• Collects and removes trash from the building and/or guests in a timely manner
• Washing, drying and folding of linens, towels and guest clothing
• Preparing all 21 guest beds for overnight shelter service
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume Lmounsteven@loyalistcollege.com, indicating your qualifications. Please reference the employment position you are applying for in your email. We appreciate all applications, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Grace Inn Shelter is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. If accessibility accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org