Chief Building Official
Situated on the Eastern side of Haliburton County, Highlands East covers 758 square kilometers with
over 70 lakes, pristine scenery and is only a 2.5 hour drive from the Greater Toronto Area.
Highlands East is a predominately rural community and is comprised of the amalgamation of the
Townships of Bicroft, Cardiff, Glamorgan and Monmouth as of 2001. The hamlets of Cardiff, Highland
Grove, Wilberforce, Tory Hill and Gooderham are our settlement areas.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer/Treasurer, the Chief Building Official will be
responsible for providing administration and enforcement of the Ontario Building Code Act, and
Municipal Building By-laws relating to the issuance of permits, inspections and compliance.
The Municipality of Highlands East Building Department is currently accepting applications for the
position of Chief Building Official.
Preference will be given to candidates who have the following experience:
• Minimum of five years in a municipal building department setting with extensive working
knowledge of the Building Code.
• Must have passed the examination program administered or authorized by the Ontario Ministry of
Municipal Affairs and Housing relating to the powers and duties of Chief Building Official and the
categories of qualification set out in Division C of the Building Code.
• Formal academic training in an architectural based program, civil engineer or equivalent would
be an asset.
• Experience managing staff in a unionized environment
• Strong management skills
• Excellent record management skills
• Must be computer literate and experienced working with Building Permit Software and Municipal
• Excellent communication and proven ability to work in a team environment
• Valid G License
If you are interested in joining our dedicated team of municipal professionals, applications
clearly marked “Application – Chief Building Official” may be submitted on or before 12:00 p.m.,
Friday, March 31st, 2023 via mail, in person, fax or email. Interested applicants may submit their
resume, including references, in confidence to:
Brittany McCaw, Deputy CAO/Treasurer Municipality of Highlands East
P.O. Box 295, 2249 Loop Road Wilberforce, ON K0L 3C0